Thursday, June 03, 2004

There are, on occassion, a great many things I am thankful for (and lucky to receive) in Germany. Besides the love of my family, DELICIOUS GERMAN FOOD, and various other goodies one of these "great things" happens to be early viewing of movies BEFORE they reach the states.

That's right, I saw Harry Potter : The Prisoner of Azkaban this evening.

So, you might be curious, since I know almost all of you in the states haven't seen it yet, how it was? Here's my review:

After much antcipation, I was excited to finally see the 3rd Harry Potter (HP) movie. However, it must be said that while the movie is well done and interpreted well (in my opinion, more on this later), a lot of the details from the book were left out. For starters, new character development was somewhat weak. Professor Lupin, my favorite Defense Against the Dark Arts Professor, lacked proper development. You get introduced to him, and you find out most of the stuff you would in the book, but certain aspects of him like his relationship with James Potter, Sirius Black, Snape, and others is not developed as well as it was in the book. You don't understand the meaning behind their nicknames unless you read the book. Also lacking in character development: Sirius Black, Peter Pettigrew, Professor Treelawny (not that you miss much of that though!), and Crookshanks. I'll leave the actual readers of the book to see what I mean.

Certain situational things were also left out like the timing of the demeantors, the firebolt, and certain other events. Again, readers will notice.

There is much more, but on the whole I think it was well done. The tone of the movie was probably the best aspect of the movie. In previous HP movies the tone was lighter and more positivie, this chapter, however, paints a much darker picture. Instead of the sunny air sweeps of the castle, you'll be subjected to darker shots and darker colors. On interpretatoin, I believe the location of the Whomping Willow and Hagirds housing is more accurate than in other movies. They are in the same place as they were in the first book, but I think where they are in here is more correct.

As readers, not just watchers, I let you be the judge. I enjoyed it, even though it was somewhat butchered. Curon did a good job.


Besides HP, work and my cold kept me busy this week. I'm still learning a lot of the ropes at work, but for the most part it is going very well. I'm glad I work with a positive, fun boss. However, as I mentioned, my cold kept me pretty occupied. For a good three days I was popping pills ever 4 to 6 hours to ease the symptomps and get rid of my horrendous headaches. I think, now, it's finally cooled off except for my cough and somewhat sore thorat. I just hope it ends soon!

And while it is summer vacation, college and debate are keeping me busy. I'm revamping my schedule as best as possible for the fall to try and better hone the classes I pick toward my major and not just electives or generals. We'll see how that goes though! Be that as it may, one subject won't be changing: debate. I've been working on my DI and POI by getting them put together the way I think they should be before I send them to the coaches for review. On that note, damn the postal service and my shabby account balance for parcel post on my package of books that still hasn't arrived. I'm seriously praying it gets here soon or I might have a nervous break down. It had my Japanese, Math, Debate, and Play/Theather books in it. I'll give it one more week, but if it isn't here, I might have to go postal on someone. Let's hope it doesn't come down to that.


Finally, Blue Irisis for Blue. I miss you! Glad you enjoyed them. Remember that more will be on the way later. :D

Post-Scrpit: I also added a new link to EMOGAME, check it out! It's hilarious! :D

0 comments:

Post a Comment